Travel back in time to the Czechoslovak Socialist Republic to learn about the totalitarian regime, propaganda, censorship and historic protests in Communist Prague. Extended option: visit the Museum of Communism.
- Explore the history of Communism in Czech Republic with a 5-Star History Expert-Guide
- See the remains of WWII damages in Prague’s Old Town
- Learn about the Soviet occupation and liberation of Prague
- Hear the details of the Velvet Revolution protests at the Wenceslas Square
- Visit the Museum of Communism (4-hour option only)
The occupation of Prague did not end with the defeat of the Nazi regime in 1945. On this Communism-themed tour you will learn about the turbulent events of the 1948 Czechoslovak coup d’état, the nationwide Salinization, Prague Spring and the Velvet Revolution. Immerse yourself in the story of the rise and fall of the Czechoslovak Socialist Republic and Communism.
Choose the 2-hour option for an original walking tour in Prague’s Old Town and discover what happened in the city under communist rule in 1948-1993. Your tour begins at Prague’s oldest city square, Staroměstské náměstí, where in 1948 the Communist party declared the takeover of power in Czechoslovakia. Follow your Expert Guide to landmarks such as the iconic Astronomical Clock, St Nicholas Church and the Church of Our Lady Before Tyn as you hear about the historical background of Czechoslovakia and its post-war Soviet occupation.
During this tour you will get a glimpse into daily life in the communist country, touching on the subjects ranging from the government structure, through economy, to society and social welfare. The guide will show you the old police station that served as the headquarters to the Czechoslovak Secret Police and the Velvet Revolution Memorial on Národní street, which commemorates the revolving Czech students who were confronted by riot police on November 17th 1989.
The live commentary will help you relive the revolutionary events that took place at the historic Wenceslas Square, which was the central location of the Velvet Revolution protests against the one-party rule in Czechoslovakia. Hear about the loud mass demonstrations and the suicide of student Jan Palach and led to the downfall of Communism and subsequent political, economic and social changes.
Choose the extended 4-hour option to get a better understanding of this complex topic by visiting the Museum of Communism in Prague. The museum’s exhibition ‘Communism the Dream, the Reality and the Nightmare’ uncovers the truth, lies and secrets of the communist regime. Explore aspects of daily life, politics, sports, economics, education, art, mass media, propaganda, censorship, political trials and executions in the Czech Republic in the 20th century.
- Communism Tour of Prague’s Old Town and the Museum of Communism (number of attractions depends on the selected option)
- History Expert Guide who is fluent in the language of your choice
- Historical facts about the Communism-era Prague
- A special itinerary tailored to your needs and interests
- Tickets to the Museum of Communism (4-hour option only)
- Tickets to the Museum of Communism (2-hour option)
Meet your guide in front of the World of Franz Kafka, Nám. Franze Kafky 16/1, 110 00 Staré Město, Czechia
What you should know
- Please check your email the day before the tour to receive important information.
- Please note that the number of attractions depends on the selected option. Tickets to the Museum of Communism are not included in the basic 2-hour option.
Communism in Prague Private Tour of the Old Town and Museum