Explore the natural wonders and cultural heritage of the Danube Valley, Wachau. Visit the UNESCO World Hertage Site of Melk Abbey and choose between a self-guided or guided Danube River Cruise or Wine Tasting. Enjoy a full-day private trip from Vienna.
- Take a private tour of the UNESCO-inscribed Melk Abbey with 5-Star Licensed Guide
- See the charming towns of Dürnstein and Krems in the Danube Valley
- Enjoy a scenic cruise on the Danube River (9,5- and 10-hour tours only)
- Taste the best wines from Wachau region on a guided wine tasting (11,5-hour tour only)
- Travel comfortably in a private car with pickup and drop-off in Vienna
The Danube Valley (Wachau) is a treasure trove of Austrian history and nature with rolling hills, lush vineyards and medieval fortresses. On this private car tour, you will discover its crown jewel – the historic Melk Abbey and nearby attractions, with an optional Danube River Cruise (summer only) or Wachau Wine Tasting. Experience the wonders of Danube Valley from Vienna!
Book a 9,5-hour self-guided tour of the Danube Valley with private transfers, a private tour of Melk Abbey and tickets for the Danube River Cruise. This itinerary is ideal for those who want to simply experience the natural heritage and cultural heritage of Wachau, one of the most prominent tourist destinations of Lower Austria. Our English and German speaking driver will pick you up directly from your Vienna accommodation and take you on a scenic drive through the picturesque landscapes along the Danube River. You will make a stop in the charming town of Dürnstein, which is a well-known wine growing area.
Next, we’ll take you to Melk Abbey, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. We will arrange the abbey’s Official Guide to give you a private tour of the Abbey Museum, so you can learn about its history and admire the stunning Marble Hall, the balcony and the Baroque library. There will be a little bit of free time in Melk, then you’ll go on a fantastic cruise from Melk to Krems, admiring the highlights of the Danube River along the way. In Krems you can explore the Old Town, do souvenir shopping and have lunch at a traditional Austrian restaurant (at your own expense). At the end of the day, the driver will take you back to Vienna.
Choose the 10-hour option for a guided tour of the Danube Valley with private transfers, a private tour of Melk Abbey and tickets for the Danube River Cruise. With a Licensed Private Guide from Vienna you can enjoy interesting and informative commentary at every step of this journey, and truly appreciate the history and cultural heritage of the Wachau region. The guide will tell you about the legend about Richard the Lionheart, who was imprisoned at Dürnstein Castle, share interesting facts about the sights along the Danube River, and show you the highlights of Krems, such as the Steinertor, Rathaus and Gozzoburg Krems.
Choose the 11,5-hour option for a guided tour of the Danube Valley with private car transfers, private tour of Melk Abbey and an exclusive tasting of 2 Austrian wines (instead of cruise tickets). Wachau is a world-famous wine region where most of Austria’s wines are produced as part of the tradition that has been cultivated for centuries. On this tour, your Private Guide will invite you to a local wine tavern or restaurant surrounded by lush vineyards for a tasting of 2 different wines produced in Wachau. It’s a must-do in the Danube Valley!
- Private Full-Day Trip from Vienna to Melk Abbey, Wachau and Danube Valley by Private Car (attractions depend on the selected option)
- 5-Star Licensed Guide from Vienna who is fluent in the selected language (10- and 11,5-hour options only)
- Tickets and private tour of Melk Abbey (all options)
- Tickets for a 1,5-hour boat cruise on the Danube River (9,5- and 10-hour options only)
- Tasting of 2 wines from the Wachau region at a local restaurant (11,5-hour options only)
- Private car transfers with pickup and drop-off at your accommodation in Vienna
- Table reservations for lunch (optional)
- Tasting of 2 wines from the Wachau region at a local restaurant (in 9,5 and 10-hour options)
- Tickets for a 1,5-hour boat cruise on the Danube River (in 11,5-hour option)
- 5-Star Licensed Guide from Vienna (in 9,5-hour option)
What you should know
- Please check your email the day before the tour for important information
- The 9,5-hour includes a guided tour only inside the Melk Abbey Museum. For other parts of this trip, you will be accompanied by an English and German speaking driver.
- The 10- and 11,5-hour option include the service of a Private Guide from Vienna for the entire tour.
- The Danube River Cruise is a seasonal attraction. It runs only from May to October, so in winter time you can book a tour with wine tasting, without cruise.
- The 11-hour tour includes a tasting of 2 wines at a restaurant in Wachau, Danube Valley. The legal drinking age in Austria is 18.
- We will arrange private transfers in a standard car (sedan) for groups of 1-4 people, and in a larger van for groups of 5 people and more. You can book a 5-people tour to take advantage of a larger vehicle.
- Lunch can be arranged upon request.
Vienna: Melk Abbey, Danube Valley, Wachau Private Car Trip