Meet Leonardo da Vinci, Donato Bramante, and other ‘Renaissance men’ on a guided tour of Renaissance architecture and art in Milan's Old Town. See the Sforza Castle, Duomo and more. Extended option: visit the Church of San Maurizio al Monastero Maggiore.
- Discover highlights of Renaissance Milan with a 5-Star Expert-Guide
- Learn about Leonardo da Vincie and other ‘Renaissance men’
- See examples of ancient Roman, Baroque, Gothic and Renaissance architecture
- Explore the interiors of the Church of Santa Maria presso San Satiro
- Admire the beautiful Renaissance frescoes in San Maurizio al Monastero Maggiore (only in 3-hour tour)
Renaissance architecture and art flourished in 15th-17th century Milan, representing the city’s political, cultural, religious and economic aspirations. Join this original tour to discover the most impressive Renaissance monuments and hear the stories of famous Italian architects and artists who crafted the iconic cityscape of Milan.
Choose the 2-hour option to discover the best selected highlights of Renaissance Milan. Your tour begins at the square in front of the Basilica of San Lorenzo, where you can appreciate the contrast between the Basilica’s Baroque-Renaissance architecture and the ancient Roman Columns of St Lawrence. As you follow your Private Guide on the cobblestone streets of the Old Town, you will learn more about the city’s transition from the Middle Ages to modernity.
The tour includes a visit to the Church of Santa Maria presso San Satiro, which is known for beautiful Renaissance frescoes and clever design that creates an optical illusion of more space. You will also see the iconic Duomo, which is one of the world’s largest and most beautiful Gothic cathedrals but also incorporates some elements of Renaissance architecture. Finally, you will pass the medieval heart of the city, Piazza Mercanti, and head to the courtyards of the Sforza Castle (Castello Sforzesco) to discover more facts and myths about the Milanese Renaissance.
Choose the 3-hour option to enrich your Renaissance experience with a visit to the beautiful Church of San Maurizio al Monastero Maggiore, known as the Sistine Chapel of Milan! It is a hidden gem with wall frescoes painted by students of Leonardo da Vinci, the most famous ‘Renaissance man’. Explore its awe-inspiring interior and learn about the Renaissance art movement in Italy.
- Private Walking Tour of the Renaissance Architecture Highlights in Milan’s Old Town (number of attractions depends on the selected option)
- Architecture Expert-Guide who is fluent in the language of your choice
- Free admission to the Chiesa di Santa Maria presso San Satiro
- Free admission to the courtyards of the Sforza Castle
- Free or paid admission to the Chiesa di San Maurizio al Monastero Maggiore (only in 3-hour option)
- Tickets to the Sforza Castle
- Admission to the Chiesa di San Maurizio al Monastero Maggiore (only in 2-hour option)
Meet your guide in front of Fontana di Piazza Castello
What you should know
- Please check your email the day before the tour to receive important information.
- Please note that the number of attractions depends on the selected option. A visit to the Church of San Maurizio al Monastero Maggiore is not included in the basic 2-hour tour.
- Please arrive on time. Admission to San Maurizio al Monastero Maggiore in larger groups requires booking a time slot in advance. Late arrival will result in the loss of the booking fee so you will not be able to see the interiors of the church.
- Church tours during scheduled events (such as the daily, Sunday and holiday masses) are limited, so the entire or parts of the building may be closed on your visit.
- The Church of Santa Maria presso San Satiro is usually open daily from 7 am to 7 pm, but as the church’s opening hours are limited, we cannot guarantee an entry.
- The Courtyards of the Sforza Castle are open daily from 7 am to 7:30 pm. Please book the starting time accordingly. The itinerary excludes tickets to the Sforza Castle Museums.
Renaissance Architecture of Milan Private Guided Tour